Ryedale Cottages the Perfect Escape for your 5* Self Catering cottage in Ryedale North Yorkshire
Five star luxury Self-Catering cottages in Ryedale North Yorkshire.
Helmsley is a market town and civil parish in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire, England. Historically part of the North Riding of Yorkshire, the town is located at the point where the valleys of Rye Dale leaves the moorland and join the flat Vale of Pickering.It is situated on the River Rye and lies on the A170 road, 14 miles (23 km) east of Thirsk, 13 miles (21 km) west of Pickering and some 24 miles (39 km) due north of York. The southern boundary of the North York Moors National Park dissects Helmsley into two along the A170 road, with the western part of the town lying within the National Park.
The settlement grew up largely as a result of its position at a road junction and river crossing point. Helmsley is a compact town, retaining its medieval layout around its market place with more recent development to the north and south of its main thoroughfare, Bondgate. It is an historic town of considerable architectural character whose centre has been designated as a Conservation Area. The town is associated with the Earls of Feversham whose ancestral home Duncombe Park was built overlooking the castle. A statue of William Duncombe, 2nd Baron Feversham stands in the town's square. The town is a popular tourist centre and has won gold medals in the Large Village category of Yorkshire in Bloom for the last three years. The town square is a popular meeting place for motorcyclists as it is at the end of the B1257 road from Stokesley, which is a favourite with bikers.
The Cleveland Way National Trail starts at Helmsley, and follows a horseshoe loop around the North York Moors National Park for 110 miles (180 km) through to Filey. The remains of Helmsley Castle tower over the town. Other places of interest include the International Centre for Birds of Prey, Rievaulx Abbey and Helmsley Arts Centre.
Archaeological discoveries indicate that the area around Helmsley was first settled in around 3,000 BC and small farming communities existed here throughout the Neolithic, Bronze and Iron Ages and into Roman times] Finds of beehive querns confirm local agriculture and the milling of grain since at least the Iron Age. There are also reports of finds of Roman pottery and a second century Roman coin.
The ancient settlement, whose Old English name was Elmeslac, pre-dates the Domesday Book. It means ‘Helm’s forest clearing’ and indicates the nature of the landscape at that time.Vikings also left their mark in the Old Norse, "gate" ending of the names of many of the streets. The ownership of much of the town and its surrounding land has changed hands only twice since the Norman Conquest. After the conquest it was held by William the Conqueror’s half brother the Count of Mortain and land to the west of Helmsley was a royal deer park. The ancient pollarded oak trees in Duncombe Park date from this period and the park is now a national nature reserve. In about 1100 the estate passed to Walter Espec, founder of Rievaulx Abbey. Walter Espec’s heirs were the eldest surviving sons of his three sisters and the Helmsley properties devolved upon Robert De Ros, the son of the youngest sister, Adeline. In 1191 Robert de Ros granted Helmsley its Borough Charter, which established it as the market town.
The charter created the burgage plots — long, narrow plots which can still be seen in the property boundaries on the west side of Castlegate and east side of Bridge Street. Large-scale sheep farming, wool production and weaving were the mainstay of Helmsley’s economy for several centuries. Despite setbacks, including marauding Scots and the Black Death, Helmsley grew steadily throughout the Middle Ages. When wool production declined after the dissolution of Rievaulx Abbey, Helmsley’s weavers turned to flax, much of which was imported. The weavers were located on Bond and Bridge Streets. By the beginning of the 17th century the form of Helmsley was largely complete, and many buildings in use today date from this period. The oldest surviving house is Canon's Garth, the vicarage. The town remained with the holders of the barony of De Ros through the Earls of Rutland and the Dukes of Buckingham until it was sold to the city financier, Sir Charles Duncombe in about 1689.The ruined Norman castle is the most significant medieval survival of the buildings in the town, although parts of the parish church and Canon’s Garth are mediaeval in origin. The 18th and 19th centuries saw major developments and expansion in the hands of the Duncombe family, beginning with the construction of Duncombe Park outside the town. At the beginning of the 19th century the cottage weaving industry declined in the face of competition from new industrial cities. Despite this, the 19th century saw various major development in the town, notably the rebuilding of All Saints' Church, and at the end of the century, building of the town hall. More houses were built along Bondgate and, after the arrival of the railway in 1871, along Station Road. This period also saw older houses remodelled so that little thatch remained in the town. With the decline of weaving, agriculture became the mainstay of the economy.
On 30 June 2011 the BBC2 programme "History Cold Case" featured an archaeological investigation into four two-thousand year-old skeletons found in Windy Pits caves, concluding that at least one had been the victim of a ritual killing, including scalping. The findings, including the facial reconstruction of the scalping victim, were presented, at Duncombe Park, to local history experts.
The conservation area covers about 91.2 acres (36.9 hectares) and contains some 433 buildings within its bounds. It contains all 51 listed buildings in the town, approximately 12% of the building stock, and two scheduled ancient monuments. Of the listed buildings, 48 are classified Grade II and three are Grade II*. Most small buildings in the conservation area are built of local cream and honey-coloured stone. Most buildings, even those of higher status, are constructed using rubble stone which has been laid to course. Most roofs are covered with pantiles. Some of the larger, more imposing town houses and civic buildings have been constructed using ashlar stone and slate as a demonstration of affluence.
Helmsley is situated on the southern boundary of the North York Moors National Park approximately 200 feet (61 m) above sea level. The town's geology is sandstone. To the west and the north of the settlement the moorland areas are predominantly limestone. Helmsley lies in a hollow in undulating open countryside, flanked by heather moor to the north and the rolling farmland of the Howardian Hills to the south. The flat lowland of the Vale of Pickering stretches eastwards from the town towards Malton. The River Rye runs by the town to the south where it is joined at Rye Bridge by the Borough Beck flowing southwards through the town from the moors. Meadows south of the Rye form an important buffer and create an attractive setting for the town from the southern approach.The area was affected by flash flooding on the night of 19 June 2005.
The five-acre Helmsley Walled Garden, originally built in 1756, is being restored as a working kitchen garden. A walled garden for the castle stood along the banks of the river to the south. Soon after the family moved out of the castle into Duncombe Park this walled garden was built. The garden incorporates glass houses designed in 1850 as a vine house. The ongoing programme of restoration uses appropriate plants where possible.
There are four churches in Helmsley. The Anglican church is the Church of All Saints.
Hutton le Hole
Hutton le Hole is recognised as a ‘honey-pot’ village lying within the North York Moors National Park. Its many visitors enjoy the open area of green that is Common Land belonging to the Manor of Spaunton, one of the few remaining Courts Leet in the country. Hutton Beck winds its way through the village and is especially attractive to families and features several duck races throughout the year. The village lying as it does on the southern edge of the moor makes it an ideal base for walkers.The needs of visitors are well catered for as they have been for many years. Refreshments at the cafes and public house, several gift/craft outlets and the Ryedale Folk Museum are all in close proximity to each other and within easy reach of the car park that lies to the north-east of the village. Bed and Breakfast, Caravan and Camping Sites and Holiday Cottages also provide for visitors.
The centre of the village is a sheep nibbled area with a stream running through. A collection of craft shops include the chocolate factory, Moorwax Candles, and Lavender and Moor. Ryedale Folk Museum is a walk through museum with a series of houses and themes. At the top of the site is the new Harrison Collection. The other collection was Dr Kirk’s which formed the Castle Museum in York. The Harrison brothers had collected since childhood and had amassed a huge collection of important household items and other artefacts.
Walks from Hutton le Hole include a pleasant wander over fields and moorland to Lastingham. The Blacksmiths Arms does good food and beer as well as having an interesting interior and gathering of locals.
Opposite is an early church with ancient crypt. St Cedd 654AD.
Back in Hutton le Hole beware of the Courts Leet which still operates here. An ancient organisation who can fine from dropping litter to frightening the sheep! The Court Leet sits on the first Thursday in October at the Manor House Spaunton, usually starting at 10.00am. Members of the public/press are welcome to attend although the room is not large and therefore space is limited. The list of fines is put before the Court each year and is called the presentment. The Jury appoints the Foreman. At present the moor keeper holds the position of Pinder. Traditionally the job of the pinder was to impound in pinfolds any stray stock and to generally monitor the flocks of sheep grazed on the common
There is a wealth of information available on the internet, here are some of the most popular sites